The 21st Century Club, a yearlong campaign, runs from spring of the current calendar year to the following spring. Originally established as the Century Club in the aftermath of the 1946 St. Joseph School and Seminary fire, the appeal sought funding support for a new motherhouse. Today, the 21st Century Club appeal continues to provide critical financial assistance for capital needs.
This campaign allows supporters to donate when it is best for them, whether one time, quarterly or monthly.
Click HERE to view this year's 21st Century Club appeal letter . Mail your donation to: Development Office, Ursuline Sisters of Cleveland, 2600 Lander Road, Pepper Pike, Ohio 44124.
History of the 21st Century Club Appeal
The 21st Century Club was originally established in 1946 as simply the “Century Club” in response to a fire that destroyed Saint Joseph High School and Seminary, where approximately 50 of our sisters lived. This, coupled with the congregation’s dire need for a motherhouse, led our General Superior at the time, Mother Marie, to appeal to the diocesan community for financial assistance. This was the first time since the Ursuline Sisters had arrived in Cleveland nearly a century prior that the congregation had to ask for monetary support.
Within the first decade of what became a yearly appeal, we were able to pay off our debts and buy land in Pepper Pike where Ursuline College and our motherhouse are located. The Century Club helped fund the construction and maintenance of our home (built in 1958) and continues to help fund our capital needs.