Ursulines come to Cleveland in 1850
The story of the Ursulines' Cleveland Foundation
Father Amadeus Rappe was chaplain to the Ursulines of Boulogne-sur-Mer. In 1847, Father Rappe was named the first Bishop of the new Diocese of Cleveland and among his priorities was the establishment of schools. He invited the Ursulines from Boulogne-sur-Mer to begin a foundation in Cleveland and to start the Catholic school system in northern Ohio.
Mother Mary of the Annunciation Beaumont was named superior of the mission band of four nuns, who with one laywoman answered his call in 1850. These sisters carried with them to America the charism and the spirit of mission of their foundress, St. Angela.
Here they adapted themselves to the new challenges of founding the parochial school system. To teach children in parochial schools, the Ursulines sought and were granted an indult from Rome to leave the cloister in 1883. The Ursulines of Cleveland enlarged the scope of their educational ministry, taught boys as well as girls, opened three high schools and a college, and received permission to live in local convents at the parishes where they ran elementary schools.
As time passed, our sisters founded three daughter houses: in Toledo, Ohio (Dec. 12, 1854); in Tiffin, Ohio (founded Sept, 28 1863 and closed in 1975), and in Youngtown, Ohio (Sept. 18, 1874). All three of these became autonomous Ursuline Congregations.